Saturday, November 26, 2005

POST When eating kills you

I've never taken statistics too seriously. Most of the time, it's an instrument for politicians to cheat over citizen, but when it comes to health, I'm sure those aren't weapons to wield, but an warning call you better be listening at.

I'm also sure that many watched, or at least heard about Morgan Spurlock's documentary (was it on) about McDonald's and how people get fat by eating fast food. It was disgusting, but it makes one think. He was crazy to do that, everybody would agree, but fast food is, if not the source of the problem, a key element of the problem.

Fast food, including pizza or KFC, is mostly synthetic. Granny would say "don't eat that", and I should pay a little more attention to that. I'm not an expert, far from it, but I know when something fills you that much you can't eat at the next supper time. Fast food gives you that sensation for a short period of time: you're full. But then, and this I've checked it myself, is all. No nutrition, as you're even hungrier than before, and full of sugar.

As the study points up, losing weight becomes dangerous problem when your very bones can't carry you. In order to prevent that, my advice is get it by the tail on time. Stop eating junk-food, and pick up natural ingredients instead. Baked food is healthier than a burger. It could be the issue of our times, and in a country where obese population keeps growing, it's better to take this issue seriously.

Time for the Government, then to face this issue once and for all. Obesity won't go away by just wishing it away. Plans are to be made, and current ones reinforced. Only then we'll see a better, healthier America.

Miguel Vinuesa

No comments: